Fishguard Ferry Port
Fishguard ferry port in Wales is easily accessed by those sailing to Rosslare in Ireland.
Catch a crossing to Fishguard ferry terminal on these routes:
- Rosslare to Fishguard (Stena Line)
Fishguard Ferry Terminal Map and Directions
Address: Fishguard Harbour, Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, SA64 0BU
Fishguard ferry port is located in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. With excellent links to the UK motorway network, the port is easily accessed by those sailing to Rosslare in Ireland.
Getting to Fishguard Ferry Port
From the south follow the A40 from Haverfordwest which is linked via the A40 & A48 to the M4 near Swansea. From the north follow the A487 from Cardigan. Fishguard is located at the junction of the A40 & the A487. Follow the signs to the Ferry Por.
Local taxis also are available upon request at the terminal, the taxis cover areas throughout the town as well as further afield.
There are 7 daily trains to and from Fishguard Harbour station - with special trains that connect with the arrival and departure of the Stena Line Superferry that operates on the Fishguard/Rosslare route.
A town bus service operates with bus stops at Fishguard town centre and Goodwick arriving at the port for the 14:30 sailing. Journey time is approximately 8 minutes from Fishguard.
Fishguard Ferry Port Facilities
Cafés and Restaurants
A coffee shop is located at the port.
Disabled parking spaces are located directly opposite the terminal building. Toilet facilities are located inside the main terminal building.
Parking at Fishguard Ferry Port
There is a long stay car park with around 60 spaces located 150 metres from the main terminal building and a short term car park directly opposite with several large spaces for disabled badge holders. The car park is pay and display, the machines accept sterling coin and credit cards.
12 hours – £3.50, 24 hours – £7.00 or Weekly at £35.0.
Port information is provided by Eurodrive for guidance only.
More About Fishguard
Fishguard (Abergwaun) is a market town, urban district and the contributory parliamentary borough and seaport of Pembrokeshire, South Wales. It is near the mouth of the river Gwaun, which flows into Fishguard Bay of St Georges Channel. The Port of Fishguard is situated about 60 miles from the M4. Fishguard Town overlooks the Fishguard ferry port, which offers regular crossings via car and passenger ferries to Rosslare in Ireland. The port is actually in Fishguard's sister town of Goodwick.
Fishguard Bay is deep and well sheltered from all the winds and its immense commercial value has long been recognised. After many years of labour and investment, the Great Western Railway constructed a fine breakwater and railway pier at Goodwick, across the lower end of the bay. An important passenger and goods traffic route to Rosslare on the Irish coast was inaugurated in 1906.
Fishguard Shopping, Dining and Attractions
Accommodation in Fishguard is plentiful and good value. Each July there is an International Music Festival, with both international and local artists, choirs and orchestras. The Theatre Gwuan is the local theatre, which acts as an entertainments centre, featuring a programme of movies and live events. The Ocean Lab is a deep-sea adventure centre located on the Parrog and Fishguard also has a Watersports Centre. Lower Fishguard is extremely picturesque with its cluster of quayside cottages and lovely views of the headland and port. Upper Fishguard contains the church, market place and and principal shops. The location of the Fishguard town, set above the small bay in St. George's channel, and the coast, contribute to make Fishguard a desirable place to live and visit. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, situated in the Upper Town, has recently been repaired.
Fishguard's early history is obscure. The main historical interest of the town focuses round the so-called Fishguard Invasion of 1797, which was the last Invasion of Britain. Near the Town Hall is the Royal Oak Inn, where Franco-Irish forces attempted to conquer Britain in 1797 at nearby Carregwastad Point. The forces arrived to negotiate a cease-fire but were forced to surrender to the assembled British. Part of the invaders' low morale is said to have been ignited by the sight of four hundred local women marching towards them. Apparently, French troops mistook women's tall hats and red flannel dresses for the British infantry troops' outfit and immediately capitulated. The 47-year-old cobbler Jemima Nicholas, the "Welsh Heroine", is said to have single-handedly captured fourteen French soldiers. Her grave can be seen next to the Victorian parish church, St Mary's, behind the pub. The fabulous Last Invasion Tapestry, 30 metres long and made by local craftsmen to depict the events of 1797, is now exhibited in Cardiff. The mementoes of the last invasion can also be seen in the pub and the town's visitor centre. The remains of the fort, based at the quaint Lower Fishguard, are worth a visit owing to its impressive position and exposed cannons. For many years the castles and prisons of Haverfordwest and Pembroke were filled to overflowing with French prisoners of war.